A Health Savings Account, or HSA, is a tax advantaged account designed to be used exclusively to pay for eligible medical expenses. HSAs give control back to consumers and assist in lowering healthcare costs. The funds in the account are yours, and unlike other health savings plans you don't lose unused balances at the end of each year.
- Contributions are tax deductible
- Earnings are tax deferred
- Distributions, if used for qualified expenses, are tax-free
- Unused assets may be used for retirement without penalty after age 65
- Account can be accessed like any normal checking account, including by debit card
- Savings rates are tiered, so the more you save the more you earn
- $100 initial opening deposit required
- $500 minimum aggregate average daily ledger balance, or $2,500 minimum daily HSA balance, requirement to avoid a $2.50 monthly service charge fee
- Free Online Banking, Bill Pay and eStatements
- Free Telephone Banking
- Free Mobile Banking
- Free Visa Debit Card.
To be eligible for a Health Savings Account you must meet the following criteria:
- Covered by a qualified High Deductible Health Plan
- Have no other health coverage
- Have a minimum annual deductible of: $1,350 for yourself or $6,650 for a family
- Have maximum out of pocket expenses for 2018 are: $2,600 for yourself or $13,100 for a family.
- Are not entitled to benefits under Medicare
- Are not able to be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return
Qualified Medical Expenses
In order for withdrawals to be tax and penalty free they must be used for qualified medical expenses. Generally speaking these are any necessary medical and dental expense performed or prescribed by a qualified medical or dental professional.
- Medical exams
- Dental treatment
- Prescription medications
- Medical equipment
- Vision treatment & hardware
- Home care
These are just a few examples. See IRS Publication 502 for a more comprehensive list of qualified expenses
You can roll over funds from an Archer MSA or another HSA into an HSA. Rollovers from these accounts are not subject to annual contribution limits. You must roll over the amount within 60 days after the date of the withdrawal. You may make one rollover contribution to an HSA during a 1-year period.
You may also authorize the trustee (the institution that holds your account) to transfer funds directly to another HSA. There is no limit to these transactions.
What’s included for free
- Online Banking
- Bill Pay
- Mobile Banking
- Visa Debit Card
- Telephone Banking
- Bank-owned ATM access
- Four Foreign ATM Withdrawals, Balance Transfers, Inquiries and Deposits per month
- Online and Email Alerts
- Overdraft Transfer Protection (1)
- Automatic Funds Transfers
What you pay for
A $2.50 monthly service charge fee applies if you don’t maintain either a:
- $500 minimum aggregate average daily ledger balance in all your Cashmere Valley Bank accounts, or;
- $2,500 minimum daily balance in your HSA.
If you satisfy either of these criteria, you will not be subject to a monthly service charge fee.
- Account Related Fees
- Monthly service charge fee if minimum daily balance not met - $2.50
- *NSF - Returned Item Fee (per Item) - $25.00
- *OD - Paid Item Fee (per Item) - $25.00
- Stop Payment or Alert (each) (2) - $25.00
- Returned Item / Chargeback (3) - $0.00
*Created by check, in-person withdrawal, or electronic means other than point of sale or ATM transaction.
- Box of Checks-Price vary
- Check Images Online - $0.00
- Statement Copies Online - $0.00